This is my first Progress Report of the year. Let’s see if my lists and calendars have been doing me any good thus far.
- Read 4 books – I’ve read about 100 more pages in Casual Vacancy since the beginning of the year.
- Keep up the Debediah project – No real progress on this yet.
- Learn to play an instrument – I have a keyboard on the premises. Now I gotta figure out the best way to attack keyboard lessons.
- Lose 12 lbs – I’ve noticed that my weight fluctuates anywhere from 2 – 8 lbs every week, even when I workout regularly and restrict my calories. I think that I bloat up when I sleep less and eat more junk, even if I eat fewer calories. I’m going to start weighing myself when I wake up every morning to see if that’s what is actually happening.
- Workout 1 hour per week – I skipped a couple of workouts last week because my knee and foot were bothering me. Plus, I was very tired because I’d been only managing about four hours of sleep a night. Otherwise, I’ve been good with this.
- Knit 4 projects – I’m more than halfway done knitting Amanda’s sunglasses bag now, but then I’ll seam it and add a closure of some sort.
- Work on The Comic – Haven’t done anything here either. I’m trying to get a few weeks of blog posts ready ahead of time so that I’m not constantly working on this blog. If I have blogs ready to post weeks ahead, then I can take an extra morning or evening each week to work on other projects instead.
- Keep up this blog – So far, so good!
- Practice drawing/Gimp/Inkscape – I try to do some sort of Inkscape drawing for each blog post. Last weekend, I did a lesson that reminded me how to work on gradients and shading.
- Learn to code – Nothing yet.
Thinking about this post this week, I realized that I had more goals for myself this year than I thought I had. I was thinking of this as My Year of Learning, but then I remembered that I’ve only been out of school since March of last year and that I spent all of last year learning how to do a new job. Every year is a Year Of Learning for me because that’s just who I am. When my grandfather passed away years ago, I found boxes filled with spiral notebooks, textbooks, and certificates for all of the classes he had taken at community colleges throughout his life. I guess I got the Learning Gene from my grandfather. So even if all I really get accomplished this year is maintaining this blog and becoming familiar with Inkscape, then I don’t think I’ll have let myself down at all.