Back in January, Cathy did a tarot reading for me for the year. August was the 3 of Cups – Celebrating with Friends. August started out pretty roughly, so I wasn’t sure, but now, I think the card completely fits.
- 12 Day Meditation Challenge – After I got so bummed out the first week, I decided not to do the guided meditations. Meditating on each day’s lesson was better. The third week, I was busy, so I slacked off completely. I still did my normal meditation before bed, but I didn’t pay much attention to the daily lessons. I’ve kept all of the emails from the challenge so that I can still look back at the daily lessons as I see fit.
- Amanda and I were able to take a few of the same days off this month. I’ll write more on that in a different post, but it was fun. We decided that one of the things we should do is try to get drunk. We never get drunk. We always have to drive home and go to work or wake up early to run errands or we don’t wanna risk headaches or blah blah blah. Between the two of us, we had half a bottle of Malibu rum and half a bottle of some kind of good amaretto whose name I don’t remember while watching Bad Santa (I had never seen it. Everyone says it’s funny, and it was, but it made me sad.) By the end of the movie, we weren’t drunk, just sleepy and hot. It was cold in the apartment, but we were burning up. We set out to get drunk, but went through peri-menopause instead.
- RQ School – We had our first session of RQ School this month. Cathy, Lomo, and I were the only ones able to make it this time, but we recorded it and put it online. (I’ll be posting that later, but if you’re real smart, you can figure out how to see it now.) I forgot that we were recording this for public consumption, and even though I only expect nobody else to watch it, I said some potentially offensive, but funny, things. Once we stopped recording, I said some really offensive, but much funnier things. That was actually the best part, the chat afterwards. Doncha just love goofing around with your friends?
- Paris – I decided to go to Paris with Cathy for Christmas. She was going to go to Ghana with her boyfriend to see his sister, who is in the Peace Corps. Cathy and Matt broke up this year, though, so Cathy decided to continue saving for a trip, but not to Ghana. She settled on a Rick Steves tour of Paris. I have always wanted to go to France, but mostly the south of France. I have had alot of run-ins with snooty Francophiles who turned me off on Paris. Even though I wanted to see the Eiffel Tower and such, I didn’t want to deal with d-bags like that, or worse, be mistaken for one of Those People. However, I realize that this is a stupid reason to avoid Paris. Aussi, c’est trés amusant practiquer mon français a Paris! I will have to put part of this trip (mostly airfare) on my credit card, but after lots of number crunching, and advice from friends, I decided to go anyway. In 2005, I began planning a trip to Italy with the RQ Babes, but have yet to go. I always put off fun for the sake of responsibility. I’m willing to deal with a little credit card debt for the sake of renewing my spirit by visiting Paris with one of my best friends. Besides, think of all the money I’ll save on therapy and antidepressants!
- Root Canal – I went for my first cap fitting (of three) this month, and ended up needing a root canal. Two hours later, the dentist told me that my canals were too small, which makes cleaning difficult. So, I had to come back a few days later to finish the root canal and cap fitting. That was not fun on any level at all. Friggin’ teeth.
Despite my meditation fail and my small canals, August has, indeed, lived up to the promise of being the month that I celebrate with friends. Who knew?