I grew up in a very musical household and have a deep love and appreciation for music. If I could pick my dream career, I’d travel the world playing piano and singing. I can’t sing or play piano, though, so I have to settle for listening to Sara Bareilles. If I had to choose between being blind or deaf (not a choice I ever want to make), I would choose to be blind. I don’t know if I could ever deal with the depression that would come with realizing that I would never listen to music again. Never hear the opening to “Daytripper” again? I can’t even imagine how terrible that’d be. Even though I already love music, certain things get me extra pumped up about it (i.e. concerts). Since the Maroon 5 concert last week, I’ve been listening to Neon Trees on Spotify, which led me to subscribe to my friend, Sarah’s, Justin Timberlake playlist, which gave me withdrawls for The Lumineers album that I’ve listened to at least once a day since I bought it last month. I listened to The Lumineers at work this week, which made me think about R.E.M. for some reason. So I listened to them, which made me think about the Old 97’s, so I listened to them next.
I remember listening to the Old 97’s on The Adventure Club in the 90s. When I met Olga, she had tape recordings of Old 97’s CDs/tapes from her brother. She even let me copy them from her. That’s a true friend, folks! I’m trying to get rid of my DVDs and CDs now (finally got rid of the last of my cassette tapes last year), but I haven’t been able to part with my Old 97’s CDs yet. I have the songs on my computer, iPod, iPhone, and cloud drives, but I still can’t part with the physical discs. At this point, I should say that my favorite type of song is what I call a Happy Broken Heart song. These are sad songs with upbeat tempos. One of my favorite Old 97’s Happy Broken Heart songs is “Big Brown Eyes”. Fans of the Old 97’s know this as a classic tune that was actually recorded on two different albums. To me, the biggest difference between the two are the lines, “I’ve got issues, yeah / Like I miss you, yeah”. I think Rhett Miller sounds more desperate on Wreck Your Life than he does on Too Far To Care, and I like the desperate version better. [Insert joke here] On that note, please enjoy this Happy Broken Heart song!
I love To Do lists. I write Post-Its for things that haven’t made it to a list, but I don’t want to forget to do in the short-term. That’s not to say that everything I put on a list gets done, but hey, congratulations for making it to the list you sweet little To Do, you!
I like lists. I even got all of this stuff done yesterday. Bow before my productivity/HULU!
So here’s a list of things I want to focus on/accomplish this year:
- Read 4 books – Not sure why finishing a book became so difficult after I went back to school a few years ago, but it did.
- Keep up the Debediah project – We really need to start the videos, but in the meantime, I should try to work on the comic once a week or so.
- Learn to play an instrument – I’ve always wanted to learn to play the piano, but they’re expensive, take up too much space, and are too loud for an apartment. I considered the ukulele instead. Then, I remembered that I still have a keyboard at my dad’s. When I told my dad about my plans, he ranted about how much he hates ukuleles. Who knew? The keyboard isn’t the piano, but it’s close enough for me for now.
- Lose 12 lbs – In all honesty, this is partly in vain because society seems to hate fat people. I will never be a size 0 (and really don’t want to be) or even a size 6. However, I have asthma, joint and muscle problems, migraines, and so much more. Some of that is hereditary, but some of it is because the strain of all this extra weight on my small frame is just too much. Losing a pound a month is a manageable goal that should improve my health.
- Workout 1 hour per week – (See above.) Exercise has benefits besides losing weight, but I can’t do 2 hours of cardio and Pilates everyday. I have learned the hard (read: painful) way that I cannot workout more than 20 minutes a day and cannot push myself too hard when I do workout. If I don’t workout at all, I feel like crap. Moderation. Blah.
- Knit 4 projects – Knitting is kinda like reading for me.
- Work on The Comic – My friend, Evelyn, and I developed a story for a comic last year and she drew some prelim sketches. Since our schedules conflict, I’m going to write the story and dialogue in detail, and then she’ll do the art. This is strictly for fun, so we don’t have deadlines, but I’d like to get it done by the end of the year. We’ll see.
- Keep up this blog – Three times a week.
- Practice drawing/Gimp/Inkscape – Practice Gimp/Inkscape for this blog and Gimp/drawing for the Debediah comic. I found some free online tutorials, so I’m gong to make the most of them.
- Learn to code – Why not?
Best of luck to me with meeting my goals! Aww, thanks, me!